Thursday 1 July 2010

Why am I growing tree seeds?

Anna Noali watering tree seedlings in Burkina FasoThe question isn't one of despair (!) or philosophical musing, but one that seems to be more relevant as the seedlings get bigger. Having salvaged one of the seedlings that had been looking a bit off, with plans to try a repot on the other two, and with all of the plants still growing and in need of another repotting next week I figured it's about time I thought about why I'm growing and looking after the Baobabs and Neems.

Now it's been good to do some research and remind myself of words like cotyledon, and the novelty and entertainment value has been pretty good too; certainly if you're someone who enjoys seeing things grow. Novelty and entertainment on the other hand are most likely not the most important consideration of people living in rural, drylands Africa who use these trees and their products in every day life. People like Anna Noali, from Nagre in Burkina Faso, will be growing and caring for large batches of seelings. They will plant them around their villages and farm lands so that they and their children can develop long term sources of food, fuel, medicine and shelter as well as looking after their soils and land.

I, of course, have none of this sense of urgency. I suppose that in the same way as growing carrots in your garden or allotment, growing the tree Neems and Baobabs from seed has given me a better and more tangible understanding of what it might be like to take such practical steps to providing for your future. And more practical steps are urgently needed next week - namely sand, compost and another round of improvised pots!

2 comments:

  1. another tree aid volunteer21 September 2010 at 14:26

    Thanks for keeping us updated on the progress of the trees, I am interested in the question as to why you are growing them too. I caught the bug volunteering in the office and out of 5 baobab and 5 neem seeds given to me in the spring, the outcome has been one so far healthy baobab seedling, about 9 inches tall and with bright green leaves. I am keeping it on a sunny windowsill at home, and understand that as the temperature drops it will shed its leaves and become dormant until next spring, during which time it is best not to water it at all. I grew it in very well drained compost which it seeems to appreciate. I've read that they don't like cold draughts at all.

    I find it exciting growing such an exotic, even quixotic tree, and noting the already slightly bulbous base to the trunk. It does give me a feeling of connection with the tree nursery growers in say Burkina Faso, without diminshing the differences in our circumstances and different reasons for growing baobabs. But my question is, as the tree grows bigger, and hopefully stays alive, what to do with it?

    I could try bonsaing it, but it would be great to find it a home where it could grow to a venerable size - the Eden project??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! It's great to hear about your Baobab, and in my experience to get one in 5 to that size and in good health can definately be counted as a success!

    It'll be interesting watching the seedlings going into dormancy, though I do wonder what to do with the mini forest as it continues to grow. It would be interesting to see what kind of size trees somewhere like the Eden project can accomodate, and whether they have a suitable climate zone. I'd certainly be sad to see them on the compost heap or suffering through lack of root space!

    ReplyDelete